The Laborer performs manual labor, as directed by the Pipelayers and Foremen, to assist in the installation of underground utilities, including storm or sanitation sewers, drains, and water mains by performing any combination of the following tasks: digging trenches or culverts, laying pipe, performing dry utility work and site clean-up.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions listed below:
- Cut pipes to required lengths as directed.
- Dig trenches to desired or required depths, by hand or using trenching tools.
- Grade or level trench bases, using tamping machines or hand tools.
- Locate existing pipes needing repair or replacement.
- Cover pipes with earth or other materials as required.
- Identify blue stake colors for safe operation of equipment.
- Connect pipe pieces and seal joints, using welding equipment, cement, glue, or gaskets.
- Align and position pipes to prepare them for welding or sealing.
- Check slopes for conformance to requirements, using levels or lasers.
- Lay out pipe routes, following written instructions or blueprints and coordinating layouts with supervisors.
- Perform daily site clean-up.
- Minimum 1 years’ experience in underground utility construction projects, or combination of education and experience necessary to meet the job requirements
- OSHA 10, CPR/First Aid certified. OSHA Confined Space training, preferred.
- Demonstrated skills in safe operation of lasers, tamping machines, saws, and other hand or power tools necessary to meet job requirements
- Ability to read, understand and work in conformity with work orders, as directed.
- Knowledge of street and highway traffic rules and regulations, and safety precautions to be observed in working on or near highways.
- Ability to detect unsafe or hazardous conditions of equipment and work environment.
- Thorough knowledge of safety standards and Underground Facilities Law (Blue Stake, Arizona 811)
- Must be able to pass random drug screens per company policy
- Reasoning and mathematical competencies necessary to operate lasers and calculate slopes based on cuts, inverts and run-length
- Willingness to travel extensively across Arizona to project sites.
The physical demands described below are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to handle, grasp and feel and is frequently required to stand, walk, and sit. The employee is frequently required to talk and hear. Specific vision abilities required include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus. The employee is frequently required to climb or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl, enter and exit trenches up to and above 20’ in depth, and must frequently lift and/or move a minimum of 50 pounds. This position is very active.
The employee will be required to work in outside weather conditions.
WORK HOURS/TRAVEL: Normal work shift as assigned. Occasional overtime and weekends. Travel to worksites throughout Arizona and possibly Montana.
This job description is not intended to cover a comprehensive list of activities, duties or responsibilities required for this position. Duties and responsibilities may change at the discretion of management. This job description is not a contract and does not alter the “at-will” nature of employment.